Thursday, April 11, 2013

War in Media

It seems everywhere you look in media you come across messages that you may not even realize.  I was watching the awful move "Battleship" the other day and before I realized it, the Navy had taken control over this movie.  It showed that the Navy was so prestigious and so much fun, when in reality it is war that you have a potential of running into.  In the beginning of the movie there was a troubled man around my age and he needed to get his act together so he must join the Navy to do so and make a game change.  It sounded as if I was listening to a speaker trying to get me to sign up.  Not even two minutes later my roommate proceeds to say "I want to join the navy or some type of military".  When he said that I tried to explain to him the reality of war with my friends who went to the Marines and how media makes it out to be so fun.  When he said this there was a scene of the Navy playing soccer against the Japanese Navy.  First off this is so unrealistic, I wanted to say do realize how fake this movie is you sound dumb but I held my tongue.  It's amazing to me how much media and even social media will portray the military as such a prestigious thing and fun.  The fact is that they are recruiting you to send you to war for them and die potentially.  How is this fun in any way is what I am wondering, not to mention every one of my friends who is in the Marines or Military hates there life at this point.  This is a shame that people actually buy into this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment