Thursday, April 11, 2013

Transcending Gamers’ Good Qualities



 I myself am not a gamer. However, my best friend John is one of the biggest gamers I know. I originally only associated his gaming habits with a negative connotation. I saw how it affected his social life. The countless nights where I couldn’t fall asleep because he was clicking away playing World of Warcraft. He would play into the wee hours of the night. He would stay up so late that he’d miss his classes the next day. This would cause a lot of fights between us because I wanted him to do well in school.


I also could recall times I’d play Xbox live with him. All the people do is talk trash to each other. People can be very mean and bully each other. I also was so surprised by how much bad language was used. I felt bad that young kids were being exposed to this. It didn’t seem like a positive environment.
On the flip side, this article really got me thinking. When people would engage in these trash talking sessions they always have a team of support. People that will stand up for them. 

I know when I would play my friend John always was protective of me on the battlefield. I was horrible at the game and often just ran around right into enemy territory. John would stay right by me and prevent me from dying.
In real life, I am the exact same. I am a lot like Ted from “How I Met Your Mother” when it comes to relationships. I drive right in and think oh my god! This is the one. John is very protective of me and tries to balance my emotions. He points out the potential dangers of the relationship, just as if we were on the battlefield.

No comments:

Post a Comment