Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pound the Pavement

I love Biz Stone, he has created one of the most revolutionary inventions in the history of mankind, Twitter.  This social media tool has helped me in numerous ways regarding my career, school, and interests.  While I give him the title of genius, I do not agree with him on one thing; Social Media Advocacy.

While Mr. Stone makes a captivating argument in his response to Malcolm Gladwell (a super genius), I still think there is much generalization 

I myself am a 20 year old college student majoring in Film and Media studies that did not enter the true digital age until this last fall when I purchased my first iPhone. I know have the capability to access my social media, email, and friends whenever I please.  And because of that fact, I am now privy to all breaking news and trending topics, but....

What about the underprivileged who cannot afford technological equipment that gives them 24/7 access to everything on the net.  For those actually being oppressed and going through hardships, how can they get their message out let alone do their part to fight for the cause if all of the discourse is being had online?

I challenge my fellow scholars to pound the pavement, there are many places in our Muncie community alone that need advocacy, yet they are not privy to fancy iPhone's and multiple social media accounts. I think we must advocate face to face, and if we do use social media, it should be to inspire personal advocacy.
  Pound the pavement!

No comments:

Post a Comment