Thursday, April 11, 2013

NBA and Wings

     So I noticed something the weekend after we had watch the "Wings" music video. First off, I had never heard the song before and I loved it. I feel like that I can relate to that song a lot because it is exactly how I felt when I was younger. I wanted to have the shoes because all of my idols had the shoes as well! In a pop culture sense, this song could be taken in many different ways though. It was funny that we had watched that video in class and talked about  how it was presented to show off teh big companies because the NBA all-star game was on that weekend. During the pre-game of the show, they showed a commercial that was about past all-star games and highlights of the participants that would be in the current all-star game. What was the song that was in the background of the highlights? Wings. Also, it was ironic because they had gotten Macklemore to actually be in the video with a all-star jersey on! It was a misrepresentation of what the song really was. They had taken out parts of the song that made it look like what it was really about. It seemed a little low for the NBA to take a song that was about one thing and put a spin on it to make it look like something to do with promoting basketball as a whole. I also thought it was kind of shady for Macklemore to go low enough to forget the meaning of why the song was written. But I guess that is what money and fame will get you. I know on Twitter, I saw a lot of people who had never heard the song or Macklemore before and they became fans simply because of that cameo in a song for the NBA all-star game. I think  it is Ironic that Macklemore wrote this song to show how big businesses attempt to control what we buy  and the business of the NBA forced him to change the meaning of the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment