Thursday, April 11, 2013

Influential (Educational) Gaming


Jane McGonigal has such an interesting stance on gaming. I find that in a few ways I agree with her “research” but in quite a few other ways, I disagree. The Epic Win is something that happens everyday as people are playing games. While it is great to empower people with this sense of accomplishing extraordinary tasks, I find it hard to believe that this empowerment lasts for even more than a few days. In order to produce lasting impact this empowerment must spark an intrigue, which then must produce action. It seems this, as well as so many other topics discussed, links directly to the definition of activism.
Is searching for clean drinking water online activism when there is already a pre-determined course one must take? Interesting question.
I do not necessarily believe McGonigal to have fallen off her rocker, I really like the idea of using media as it is already presented in potentially its largest form within games to have a bigger impact. The only thing I have an issue with is how this can truly be accomplished. I think perhaps the biggest possibility for achievement is simply education.
We don’t have to use games to search for clean water, but we can use games to educate users about the desperate need so many have for clean water. As so many said in class, when they were presented with an interesting idea, they were inspired to research further and produce their own stance. In this respect I think game education (even if it is subtle and fun) can begin to impact the world in huge ways, but maybe not quite the active ways McGonigal suggests.

No comments:

Post a Comment