Thursday, April 11, 2013

Do the cons outweigh the pros in gamers?

In class the other day we discussed the pros of being a gamer and what skills would be developed by becoming a virtuoso in gaming. Things like task orientation and hand-eye-coordination were brought up, but overall it did not really seem like there were too many skills developed through gaming that could not be acquired somewhere else. In my life I have spent enough hours playing games to be considered a virtuoso in video games, but I did not develop any of the skills that we talked about besides a bit of hand-eye-coordination. I think ive gained more of a negative skill set than a positive one. I have become less social due to video games, while playing games i don't talk because the only person I would be talking to would be myself, which would be weird. I also did not really become socially aware of many things, including myself, until my junior year of high school. I also had gained a lot of weight because of my constant playing of video games leading to a sentient life style, which I have lost now but still regret having that happen. All of these things that happened because of video games have led to other negative things happening, as where the positives I got from video games never seemed to cause anything positive to happen. I think that people that are involved in a club that involves something that builds hand-eye-coordination would be better because they get a social experience, have to manage time to attend the meetings, and they also build hand-eye-coordination without doing something that could be harmful to a persons skill set.

No comments:

Post a Comment