Thursday, April 11, 2013

Is Social Media Making Us Less Social?

It is easy to be whoever you want when your face is hidden. It is easy to sit behind a computer screen and make yourself the coolest person in the world. But what do you do when you have to see people in person? People are changing themselves on social media and then being completely different in person. How does this build lasting relationships?
I do not think there is anything wrong social media. I have all the essentials; facebook, twitter and instagram are all a click away on my phone. This makes me wonder, how do I seem on social media? Do people assume I am different on the internet than I am in real life? In my opinion, I am not different. However, I am sure everyone would say about themselves. With so many people starting relationships over the internet, it makes me wonder how well people can get to know each other. Obviously all the great things about a person are going to be right out in the open for everyone to see. What about the bad side? No one can tell someones temper through typing or whether they are being sarcastic. We can take what we see a certain way, but we will never know for sure until we have been around them in person.
Personally, I do not buy the meeting someone over social media idea. I feel like I will never get to know the real person. Anyone remember the Craig's List Killer? Yeah, that will not be happening to me. I believe we should be 100% sure what we are getting into and who we are talking to before starting a relationship because, unfortunately, not everyone is who they claim to be online.

No comments:

Post a Comment