Thursday, April 11, 2013

Food Inc.



Watching Food Inc. for the second time has most definitely affirmed my opinion on how horrible our food is being produced and how shocking the statistics are for the Americans consumption of these foods. Ever since I finished watching Food Inc. the first time, I considered myself a wiser consumer and vowed to make more conscientious decisions when it came to buying organic food and knowing which corporations had the most integrity behind their production. Being the forgetful and lazy person that I am, I quickly shrugged off that responsibility because my dietary habits were too strong to overcome. The decision I now face is whether or not I continue in my unhealthy ways, or do I make an effort to eat the right kinds of food? I realized that going out on my own to buy my own groceries has come with its set of responsibilities. I can choose to separate myself from the average college aged male, who stuffs his face with fast foods, only because it takes zero effort and the taste is too tempting to resist. I respect the female chicken farmer who showed us the unethical practices that were taking place inside her chicken house. She knew what it took to raise chickens the right way, and so did that farmer who was “sticking it to the man.” People like them give me strong hope that consumers will make more informed decisions and thus cause the government to make more regulations regarding the safety and health of the animals and the people eating them.   

No comments:

Post a Comment