Thursday, April 11, 2013

Funny Females



When I first saw “Bridesmaids,” I remember everyone agreeing that it was the female’s answer to “The Hangover.” By that, I mean it was a rated R comedy driven by funny female actresses. When I looked through the cast I spotted familiar names that I had already known to be funny like Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph. The rest were either new faces or ones I didn’t expect, like Rose Byrne and Melissa McCarthy. McCarthy was the one whom I laughed at the most, simply because of her contradiction to the funny and sexy one (Kristen Wiig). She was able to use her overweight figure to her advantage. While I appreciate her effort in this area of comedy, the female comediennes I gravitate towards are Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Ellen DeGeneres.  These women are unlike funny women in the past, because they write a lot of their own material. Fey created “30 Rock” and Poehler has directed a few episodes of “Parks and Recreation.” Of course Ellen has her own talk show, giving her full creative control of her comedy. These women were given greater opportunities than women like Mary Tyler Moore or Lucille Ball did in their time. I think it’s great that more people are recognizing humor from women.

The one thing I have to argue though is that the women I know personally hardly make me laugh. The few that can make me laugh are famous and I’m worried that only women with good senses of humor have realized that and that’s what’s making them famous.

No comments:

Post a Comment