Thursday, April 11, 2013

Almighty Food Industry


The video we watched in class was a bit gruesome I must admit. I came in a little late so I’m not sure exactly of the name, but the images are very vivid in my head. After watching that video, I’ve come to be a little furious with Tyson products and Wal-Mart as a whole. The problem I had with Tyson was that when the camera crew was going around looking to see what exactly happened in the chicken coops, Tyson shut it down. The farmer had no problem with it, but Tyson did. This made me feel somewhat bad for the chickens. They had no idea what they were being born into and it infuriated me. There’s no telling what is going on behind closed doors for Tyson. Another farmer showed what happens and it was terrible. Chickens too big to walk, rolling over and dying, it was just disgusting. What matters worse was the video of night surveillance where men came and snatched up the chickens. To the Wal-Mart side of things, their dealings with the farmers were a travesty. Here you have Wal-Mart, one of the biggest chains in the world, and they’re bullying farmers for their products. They make the farmers give them exactly what they want, or Wal-Mart won’t give them the money needed for them to live off of. It’s just another way of showing how little Wal-Mart cares about others and how much more they care about themselves. The video in class shown was a much needed reality check of what it is we actually consume when we buy from Wal-Mart.


No comments:

Post a Comment