Thursday, April 11, 2013

Could gamers be super heros?


On Tuesday we talked about gamers. We talked about the positives and negatives of gamers and the entire ‘gamer society.’ Personally it never crossed my mind that the gamer society could be a good thing for our planet and they could potentially solve many global issues. The video we watched that had the speaker, McGonigal on TED Talks was surprising to me. I’ve never thought of gamers in positive light. I’ve always had this notion that gamers are anti-social and completely consumed in their games. The completely consumed in their game world may be true but McGonigal pointed out some positives of gamers. 
Some of the positive attributes of gamers that never even crossed my mind are; they are task oriented, great at multi-tasking, and competitive. These types of skills are what are typically used to solve complex problems. McGonigal made a great point, these attributes of gamers could be used to solve our world’s problems and I agree. If you think about it, take all of the attributes that gamers’ have and put those to better use to solve our world's problems like clean water, problems with oil, and hunger, they could potentially save the world. Now yes this is a huge theory to grasp, but I see where she is coming from and I somewhat agree. I mean it makes sense but it may be too much of a theory and not really possible.  
Some one in class said that gamers are used to an immediate pleasure. If they put their skills to better use and solve the world's problems that would take decades. The culture that the gamer society is used to is having immediate results of beating a level or killing the 'bad guys'

No comments:

Post a Comment