Thursday, April 11, 2013

Organic Food Truck




Two summers ago, I worked for an organic food truck. Being part of the company taught me a lot about the whole organic movement. First off, it exposed me to my first famer’s markets. I had never been to one before that. I thought it was so cool how you could get fresh products. Each stand had its own product, but all the stands combined were just like a supermarket.


The next thing that amazed me was the public’s reception to the business. Everyone loved it! I was shocked to see the prices that people were willing to pay. I am used to getting Ramen and only paying $1 for a meal. These people had no qualms about paying extra to receive a quality product. Everyone I encountered was so curious where the food came from. I would constantly have to explain where the food came from. All our meat came from the same farm. I forget the name now but while I was working there I basically had the whole farm’s history down because so many people would ask about it.


I also learned a lot about organic foods from my boss. I was amazed at all the stats she would rattle off about eating organic. I found it fascinating that you could eat less, but feel more full longer if you eat healthy. I feel like this is definitely true. When I eat my mom’s super healthy food, I am never hungry throughout the day. However, when I am at school and have a chef cook for me at the fraternity house, I’m sure I am eating the food featured in Food Inc. The food does not satisfy me and I often find myself with a disrupted digestive system. Eat locally, think globally!

No comments:

Post a Comment