Thursday, April 11, 2013

All Hail Video Games?


All hail the mighty video game. I found it quite interesting that in the article it was stated that kids who spend on average of more than 10,000 hours playing video games before they turn 21 could actually stop climate change. I also found it very interesting of how they said video games are, in a way, helping shape their minds with problem-solving features. On the quiz, I put the game Tomb Raider as an example of a game that does this. Although it wasn’t listed in the article, I felt that it should have. IN my childhood, playing Tomb Raider helped me greatly with problem and puzzle solving. Games like this help expand your mind for real-world situations. Granted, I don’t plan on being an archaeologist like she is, but it doesn’t mean I won’t have problems in my life that were related to her adventures. Apple designs apps that do this the most in my opinion. With popular games such as Montezuma Puzzle, Unblock Me, and Temple Run, it puts problems in the users’ mind that they must relinquish of. I wish this article came out when I was younger so I could show my mom this whenever she said I spend too much time playing video games. This way I could respond and save, “I have the ability to stop climate change with my game playing.” Granted, there is a negative to playing video games too much. Kids tend to only do that and they begin to gain weight. Due to this, Playstation and X-Box have taken a page from the Wii and have motion-censored games so the game player can be mobile. It may be a small step, but video games help solve real world problems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment