Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Guilty Pleasure

Today there was a tornado in my hometown of St. Louis.  After checking to make sure that all my family was okay, I immediately went on a major news network to see all the reports.  Why is everybody so obsessed with disaster?  I had no intention of helping anyone out, I just wanted to know all that happened.  The media gave me exactly what I wanted, pictures and videos of the events so I could feel like I was there.  I consistently went back and forth through different news networks because I wanted more pictures, I wanted to know what happened.  The media continuously fed my addiction, but why?  Did they do it hoping their viewers would move to action?  Or was it just to boost their viewers?  It's hard to believe in the good of reporters because they're doing it for a paycheck, the more viewers they have the more they are paid.  I wonder do they really care about what they are saying, or are they just trying to get the scoop so people won't go to another news station to get the information?  The world revolves around money, and the media gives viewers what they want to see so outside research is rarely done.  I'm sad to say that I fall into this trap but usually I go the extra mile and do more research.  Again, not to move to action but just because I want to know for my own self satisfaction.  Disaster is my own guilty pleasure, not to be in, but to read about, look at pictures, and watch videos about.  Hurricane Katrina was one of my favorite disasters.  I feel bad for saying favorite since so many people died in it.  I watched the coverage almost all day during this because I had been in New Orleans the week before and I felt like I could relate.  I don't know why I'm obsessed with it, but I have accepted it, and thats the first step to recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment