Thursday, April 11, 2013

Are Men Funny

A few weeks back when we had our "Are Women Funny" lecture it got me thinking. I started to wonder when about comedy as a whole. I thought if someone can say women aren't funny and list a bunch of outstanding reasons then why is anyone funny. I wanted to know how the harsh, sexist, comedian critic determined men were funny. Some male comedians are funny because of their shear stupidity on stage. Take the comedian Jim Gaffigan for example. In one of his stand up jokes is him saying the word bacon over and over in a funny voice. People at the show found it to be hilarious. Also, another comedian Will Ferrell does most of his comedy on the spot. He will say just ludicrous and outlandish statements that we perceive as funny. Yet I have seen well developed and witty skits by female comedians that others also find hilarious. So it was strange to hear such an extreme view on female comedy. Though I still keep thinking to myself why do we laugh at things that in other context would be funny? Also does the gender of the person change every joke? If you are reading this post let me know what your feelings are. If you care enough to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment