Thursday, April 11, 2013

Media Coverage of War


I have been surrounded by the media’s coverage of war since I can remember. It’s something that is normal for me. I can’t remember a time when there wasn’t news coverage of a bombing somewhere or numerous American soldiers dying overseas. The first media coverage of war that I can specifically remember was when I was in 8 years old and in 3rd grade; when 9/11 happened. I remember that day like it was yesterday. My school teacher turned on the TV to the news coverage of the World Trade Center attacks. On the bus ride home kids were talking about it and when I got home my mom had the news on. Ever since then it has just been something that I’m used to seeing on the news.
This can be a negative thing for our culture. We are so used to seeing media coverage of war-related things we are not affected by it at all. War is sort of a big deal, and since we’re so used to it, it’s not really a big deal to us. I feel like when Lil Wayne’s had all those seizures made more headlines than the hundreds of soldiers overseas that die every day fighting for our country. It’s not a good thing, but it’s quite normal these days. Currently there is talk about North Korea having bombs and we are potentially in danger, and now we care because ‘America is indestructible…you mean to say another country has more power over us?’

No comments:

Post a Comment