Thursday, April 11, 2013

Social Media and Friendship


Social Media is quickly making our society anti-social. I can’t even remember a time when I would walk around without an iPod, texting on my phone, or even just talking to someone. In all honesty, I probably refresh my twitter feed about 5 times every ten minutes, because what would I do if I didn’t know what that one random person from home had for breakfast? I think social media has made us the most social anti-social people. What I mean by this is we are interacting in a new way. In person, some people can’t even make words, but once on their social-media accounts they can’t shut up. And some of these people really should shut up.

One thing I find interesting is that social-media boosts people esteem by making them think they have friends. At one point in time, people called you and invited you places. In today’s society, someone will see a tweet about people hanging out at someone’s house and then just go show up there. There are even twitter pages dedicated to telling people where parties are at. People can just look at the page and show up at someone’s house they don’t even know. Am I the only person who thinks that’s creepy? Anyone who looks at this page can just come to your house. And then they have your address forever! That’s not normal. But then after they get to the party they don’t know what to do and stand around awkwardly. They can’t even talk to people until they start drinking. The whole process of social-media really stresses me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment