Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Why do I love rap music?

After the hyper-masculinity lecture that focused so much on Tupac, I asked myself, "Heather, why do you subject yourself to this?" The lyrics are so degrading to women, and half the time just flat out ridiculous..cough cough.. Lil Wayne... But seriously, sometimes I literally laugh out loud at what type of lyrics are making millions of dollars. It's upsetting.
This isn't the first time I have asked myself this question, but it gave me a reason to think deeper on the matter.
I love rap music. I can't explain it. I love Jay-Z and Biggie Smalls and Kendrick Lamar, the list goes on. I love being able to rap along with the songs and blast it in my car down campus, and I can't really explain it.
After this lecture I started thinking that maybe I try to use rap music to counter my hyper-femininity. I've come to terms with it. I love dressing up and being girly and all that crap. So maybe I'm using nasty rap songs to cover up some of that - as kind of a shocker. Haha it sounds so ridiculous as I type it out. But it's a good theory. I don't want people (boys) to think I'm super sensitive or that I'm like every prissy, bitchy girl they've ever met before. So maybe I feel like being into this genre of music helps out with that. .. Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment