Thursday, March 14, 2013

Boy or Girl? Does it matter?

I remember hearing the stories about Caster Semenya when there became speculation on her gender after blowing her competition out of the water in the 800 meter dash. After reading the article for class and listening to the discussions being made, I feel like I've gotten a better insight on the whole subject.

First off, after competing in track for so long, I understand that men and women are anatomically built differently from one another, and men typically have an advantage over women when it comes to athletics. I've come to understand what times in races are "expected" from both  men and women. And when Semenya got a 1:55 on her 800 race, I was very impressed; however, like someone mentioned in class, that is not the time an Olympic man would get. While her time was very impressive, I could understand if they were suspicious of her taking enhancement drugs PERHAPS, but it really saddens me that the media would question Semenya's talent by demanding a gender test. This is something she had probably been dealing with her whole life, and after years of working her butt off, everything gets ripped out from under her because "women can't possibly do that well in athletics."  It's just a very sad story, and I'm not happy with the way the media handled it. I wish the media would have made it a private matter, tested her for enhancements if necessary, and let her race. I think the media is obsessed with framing specific newsworthy events to draw audiences in. People look at Semenya and see "a news story;" they don't see the individual. She's become a product of the media and now has to face harsh critics. Her body naturally produces more testosterone and it's not like she can help it. The fact of the matter is that she identifies HERSELF as a female, and has worked incredibly hard to get to where she is today.  It's not like she was getting the time an Olympic man would get in an 800 meter race either. It isn't fair for people to dehumanize her and undermine her success just because she was born with both female and male characteristics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment