Tuesday, March 12, 2013

All you need is...hate? Ellen Lee 009

-->
            I have been familiar with the Mathew Shepard story since I was in high school and one of the surrounding public high schools was putting on a performance of the Laramie Project. This was a huge deal because it was one of the first times in an Indianapolis school that this play was being put on. This was a huge deal because word had gotten out that the Westboro Baptist Church was going to be at North Central High School protesting the putting on of this play. This had been one of the first experiences I have had with Westboro and they are just as prejudice today as people were back decades ago.
           
I attended a private high school and when they heard that students from my school were going to leave early to protest this group they told us that if anyone left than those people would be suspended and face disciplinary probation. This was the worst thing I have ever heard. Here are kids trying to stand up for something they really believe in and was a good cause. I did not realize how a school could tell their students not to stand up for something they believe in, and something as serious as this issue. There are people out there filled with so much hate and we wanted to balance that hate with support and love.

I did not go to the protest, but I heard of many people who went. Police were there making sure everything was under control but most people noticed how the police were on the “love” side. It was truly amazing to see people ban together and show acceptance and love for people they might not know or even ever meet. It was a very powerful experience.

The main point that I want to get across in my blog post is that prejudice is still very much alive in our community. I want to encourage people to stand up for what they believe in and give a voice to the people who can no longer be heard. This is not just focused at homosexuals, but can be seen everywhere. Hate will not disappear until we allow it to, and I think it is time for hate to be no more.

No comments:

Post a Comment