Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ellen Lee- A Dangerous Game Ellen Lee 003

-->
While in class on Tuesday I was amazed at the impact of war on our daily lives even though we may not feel like we are apart of it. I have never been a firm believer in the idea that violent video games cause violent citizens. I think it does contribute to aggressive behavior, but I think it can be controlled just as all other behaviors are conditioned. I know a few people who are in the armed forces and I would never compare myself to the work they do. I honestly kind of find it a bit insulting to create games based on killing people for entertainment and some people have to endure that everyday.
            I enjoy video games; do not get me wrong, but my favorite games are Mario kart and Donkey Kong. Both games share their own violent silver lining but the games are based on fictional characters that fight mythical creatures. I do not think one game is picked over the other because both games can be argued as violent and inappropriate for kids. I just think it is more fun to beat Bowser than caring around a machine gun and killing my fellow mates.
            Not to mention has anyone seen people play Halo, Call of Duty, or Modern Warfare? It is scary. If there are headsets involved than pretty much expect to not speak to that person for a few hours, or at least until the match is over. A couple of my friends like to play the war games and I enjoy nothing more than to hold a conversation while they are playing. They get so mad, and I can understand a little better now why that would happen. The guys are in their own world and do not need to be disturbed. It is a very strange experience to witness because we are humans who are being absorbed in a virtual world, and it is kind of sad.
            It is even sadder to see these battles being glorified and held up to higher standards. I wish our country would tell us the truth about what is going on. I don’t care if people don’t like it, I feel like we have an obligation to know the truth about what is going on. I understand that there is no such thing as black and white and I am not in the middle of the action so I cannot intelligently speak on the topic but I feel that all news is news and it should not be based on what people want to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment