Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Hoot and Holler


Someone, in class today, mentioned the phrase “She’s shy until you get to know her”, telling the class that women have more pressure to “fit a mold”. I very much agree with this idea and would like to expand on the concept that this young man brought up.

He’s completely correct. Not that men don’t have a mold to fit into or expectations to live up to, but when it comes to everyday social behavior, I believe that women have more of an image to uphold. A lot of people will say that they don’t care what others think about them and that they are going to act however they want to. I say this all the time. I am my own person and I try to present myself as such, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't try to fit the social expectation of me and my fellow women sometimes.

I don’t know about you ladies, but I am a hoot. Out of all of the groups of friends that I have, I am “the funny one”. However, there are times that will be out with my boyfriend and his friends or even out with my girlfriends and I will stifle a comment or a laugh because, although I am hilarious, it wouldn’t be “appropriate” for me to make that joke.

On the other hand, I have a lot of guy friends and when I am out with them, I feel like I can say whatever I want because they don’t see me as some girl, I am one of the guys. I may not be the most gorgeous thing you’ve ever seen, but I am not a masculine female.
 I would like to believe that, in my future, if I ever have a daughter, she will believe that she can be beautiful, wear pink dresses, be confident in her own skin, and still be hilarious (intentional or not). 
Just like her Momma. 

No comments:

Post a Comment