Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Rappers and Hip Hop

After reading the article on Tupac and our discussions in class I have a much greater respect for all of it now.  That has never been my type of music, nether the style, nor the content of the songs appealed to me in any way, I just passed it by and never really gave it any serious thought.  After reading the article I just felt like the author was just trying to defend his favorite artist by writing a fancy essay about it, I really didn't know anything about Tupac other than he was shot and that there were conspiracy theories that he wasn't really dead.  Sure I saw some of the points he was making, but it seemed like he contradicted himself a lot, and most of that we addressed in class, talking about the "front" they put up, and then the reality of the people themselves.

It was really interesting for me to listen to both our GA, and the guy in the back (spacing on names at the moment), talk about the fronts that they have to put up just to get by in society, and within that culture.  Honestly, it was never something I really thought much about until our discussion in class. Growing up I was always the odd one out, the white american in a Vietnamese town, I always stuck out like a sore thumb, I eventually because so permeated with the culture that, for all intents and purposes I was a Vietnamese kid, and in some ways I still am.  Here in the states I sometimes put on a front, like I am just like everyone else who grew up here.  Once I started relating that to the "thug" front that we talked about the Artists putting up it all made a lot more sense, and was definitely a lot more relavent.  After all of this I have a lot more respect for Rap Artists and their lifestyle, even if I still don't like their music.

No comments:

Post a Comment