Tuesday, March 19, 2013

It's all about the act Ellen Lee 010

-->
            As I was reading for today’s article I found myself getting kind of offended at how the public views women in the media. I personally think there are many successful and funny women in today’s media and I do not think the articles were given enough credit. Now do not get me wrong, I think men and women are just as equally funny; and movies are being made that complement both men and women’s talent. The Hangover was based on a man’s perspective of funny, and Bridesmaids was geared toward a female demographic. I just thought the article did not give enough credit to both parties in the media world.
            I also found that the article that was supporting women was more downplayed than the article that was focused on men. But what I did notice is the man who wrote the article directed at men being funny was trying to compensate for his ideas. Every time he would direct a point at men and deny women he would write things such as “you get what I am saying?” or “you know what I mean?” I felt that he did not make a strong enough argument to omit those phrases from his article and I think that could have hurt his tone for the audience.
            I thought it was interesting when the second article began talking about women writers for comedy and how that had not been the norm before this decade. Women were not the writers at the time when comedy first started to become popular. Women portrayed the words that men wrote for them and they were considered “comedians.” I thought this was interesting because I have never thought about this in terms like this. I find that women who write their own acts tend to have better careers.
            I do not think men are funnier than women and I do not think women are funnier than men. I think both parties have their moments in the comedy world and I think both should be glorified.

No comments:

Post a Comment