Saturday, March 30, 2013

Undecided

Undecided

I don't have a television in my room and my roommates constantly watch movies all day on our television in the living room. Recently  the roommate who owns our television in the living has decided to put it in his room. So as you can see, I don't get much exposure to television  Without this exposure, I am missing out on the news a lot.

So I hadn't really heard of the Human Rights Campaign and the news surrounding until I logged onto Facebook last week. My feed was covered with the red equal sign and people setting it as their profile picture, sharing it and throwing their opinion out there after posting it on their friends walls. I read up a little about the campaign just to see what it was all about so I could understand the frenzy on Facebook.

I am all for equality in the world especially after taking this class and seeing how much women are at a disadvantage is many parts of our world... but that's another conversation. I am not an activist for either side and if a gay marriage law was passed, I'd be ok with it, and if it wasn't, I would be ok with that. I have thought a lot about taking a side, but have decided that I believe I lay right in the middle. I am fine with either. So while I have no problem with the Human Rights Campaign for equal rights, I do have a problem with the way people are expressing their views over social media.

Although the red equal sign has dominated my news feed, so have many fights. It in incredible to see how much people will say over social media and how nasty they are willing to get for the side they believe in. Since the Human Rights Campaign is going on right now, I have seen more equal signs that pictures opposing gay marriage. As I said before, I am ok if the gay marriage law gets passed and I am ok if it doesn't. But I am NOT ok with how much those who support the Human Rights Campaign are shoving their opinions down the throats of those who opposed gay marriage. Maybe it is just my news feed, but I have seen some horrible, rude and blunt fights going on. If you aren't doing what's "cool" right now, aka having the red equal sign as your profile picture, you are considered "inhumane", "unjust" and "a joke to to the 21st century". I have seen all three of these accusations come from people with the Human Rights logo as their profile picture. I have even seen them attack an 11-year-old girl stating her opinion, just like those supporting gay rights are.

This girl has received death threats, sexual threats and other negative comments towards her since she testified. A few weeks later, a 14-year-old girl similarly spoke out against gay marriage and later received hate mail and death threats, according to www.lifesitenews.com. While I haven't seen anyone on my news feed threatening to kill each other,  I am disgusted by how rude people are about their opinion. If you oppose the popular belief, you better be ready to receive hateful comments, how stupid you are and that you opinion is inhumane written all over you Facebook wall. I have no doubt that those who are for gay marriage rights have also received awful comments such as these, but I draw the line when children are in the line of fire.

I am glad I have stayed out of this Facebook fight. In the argument of Gladwell vs. Stone, I am going to have to go with Gladwell on this one. I wouldn't have to read nasty comments, see horrible fights or how vicious my friends can get when behind their computer screen if these same people were out being involved, engaged physically and participating in a organized cause.

No comments:

Post a Comment