Monday, March 18, 2013

Gender vs. Sex

In class we’ve talked a lot about gender and the pressure and expectations put on people based on their sex. Gender is something man-made, sex is what a person is naturally born as. I don’t agree with gender codes, I am all for the lines of gender being blurred. Sex on the other hand, I believe, is something much more concrete, and I don’t think those lines should be blurred. I think sometimes the lines between gender and sex get mixed up. A male shouldn’t feel like he has to abide by certain rules in order to be considered a “real man”, and a woman shouldn’t feel pressure to do certain things to make her a “real woman”. However, one is a man, and one is a woman, and there are differences that should remain and lines that shouldn’t be crossed. When the lines of sex begin to be blurred is when I see a problem. When people begin to blur the lines between male and female, it’s no longer a big deal to have separate bathrooms or locker rooms, people no longer have a sense of privacy or see a difference towards the opposite sex, I think that is inappropriate. So, I support loosening the reigns of gender code, but definitely in a conservative way.

No comments:

Post a Comment