Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Masculine Culture Ellen Lee 011

-->
Hyper masculinity has been and influence on young men, as the Disney culture was popular for young women. I think the article did a nice job showing how Tupac was an influential public figure in the hip/hop world. I remember seeing a meme on Facebook that juxtaposed Tupac lyrics with Justin Bieber lyrics, and the difference was astounding.  I believe music was at its prime before our generation took the media scene by storm.

I do not necessarily believe that Tupac, or anyone of his time, would be considered hyper masculine. I know the things he talked about and produced were aimed at males of that time, but I think women can find the light in his words as well. The great thing about Tupac was that all people could relate to him: white, black, Hispanic, female, male, or anyone of the sort. His music spoke the truth and allowed for people to speak of how they really felt and express themselves through the arts.

I was talking to Chris before class and he was telling me how it bothered him that Tupac was being associated with “gang culture” even though he was never in a gang. Chris went on to inform me about how gangs were originally created to protect neighborhoods from the police in the ‘60’s when the police were the enemy. I thought it was funny that the article related gangs and Tupac probably because he was black and had a “thug” life appearance. In all honesty, I do not care what your appearance may be as long as you stay true to yourself and what you stand for.

No comments:

Post a Comment