Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Maybe I AM De-sensitized....

In the Stahl article, it was talked about how the theme of war is huge in culture right now. To me, video games come to mind in regards to a major way that war is portrayed to the masses. Growing up in this generation, I have played video games all of my life. In a number of cases, these games have some sort of tie in with war. Right now on Capitol Hill, there is a major debate on whether or not video games attribute to violence in teenagers and young adults. Many people feel that video games are a direct result in today's youth being de-sensitized to death and war. Answering that accusation is easy, for me anyway. I think I am de-sensitized to war and death, but video games aren't the on reason why. Also, these games do not give me the fuel, or the passion to go out and join the army.

NCIS, Homeland, The A-Team, Zero Dark Thirty. Hey, these are not video games, but damn, do I love to watch them religiously. These examples, more than video games, give me the want to go and do what the protagonists are doing. I want to be very special NCIS agent Tony DiNozzo, I've even applied to NCIS before. In every single episode of the show, there is at least one dead body, and the NCIS team usually ends up killing at least one person. I'm fine with that.

This is me, a 21 year old American blatleny saying, that I would rather go be an NCIS agent than going to join the military. Sure, I've lived a soldier's life virtually, but I'm not de-sensitized enough to put myself through the real thing. I beleive that other forms of media have forced my de-sensitization. NCIS for example, I could do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment