Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Positives of Video Games


"We can play a game that simulates killing people." This was definitely a statement that was shocking for me to think about. Even though I have been playing games like these all my life. It was still shocking to think about. I don't think that killing people in real life is a good thing. I also understand that today's lecture wasn't completely bashing video games in general, but I would like to take a brief moment to defend video games and offer some positive things that video games can do for people.

Video games have become more of a social activity. People of all ages can play games with their friends who are thousands of miles away. These people can actually build very healthy friendships through playing these video games with their friends. A good example comes from Spring Break last year. Me and two of my friends drove 18 hours to Colorado to visit a guy that none of us had ever spoken to in person. My roommate had played League of Legends with the guy for years and always said that one day they'd hang out in person. So they did. These guys had built a friendship based off of League of Legends. Now I know that most people think of video games as bloody and gory and terrible, but you have to admit this story is pretty cool.

Video games have a few other bright sides as well as relationship building.
  1. Development of hand-eye coordination
  2. Reaction Time
  3. Problem Solving
  4. Overall brain development
  5. Increase creativity
  6. Outlet for stress
So the next time you think negatively about video games just remember that it's not all bad.

1 comment:

  1. I think you are really going to like our gaming until in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete