Monday, March 25, 2013

McCarthy weight VS Cummings attractiveness

For some reason I found the SNL skits with Melissa McCarthy only funny because she was overweight AND because of her mannerisms. I feel like most of the class wasn't really getting that. If Kristin Wigg was in the office skit or in the Hidden Valley ranch skit then it wouldn't be as funny. Personally I do find some women funny but feel like there aren't enough female comedians. In the article we were assigned to read that day, I felt like the author was a little extreme but made me realize that there is obviously something wrong when the majority of comedians are male and are well received compared to the number of female comics.
For instance, lets look at Whitney Cummings, a good looking female comedian who's stand up was alright but now has a TV citcom which is actually funnier than her standup. So maybe the answer is that women in TV shows are funnier than when they are in stand up performances or women that are more attractive, they can be funny in TV shows.
Getting back to McCarthy, in Bridesmaids, her humor came from her size and sexual jokes..Identity theif was the same as well... so why do we put up a veil of ignorance to her humor and say that if any female in the Hidden Valley skit would've been just as funny? I personally didn't find the hidden valley skit very funny. I mean the girl just talks loud and pours ranch all over herself. The only thing I could think about was how many calories that'd be just because ranch is so calorically heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment