Thursday, March 14, 2013

Matthew Shepard Lecture.

Tuesday we spoke about Matthew Shepard and his brutal death. I find it disgusting that a human being can live with themselves after doing that to another individual, homosexual or heterosexual. I understand that opinions are that, opinions, but absolutely no one should be treated as Shepard was regardless. The media does frame the information of what they want depending on the reactions of the audience. It's upsetting media has become this way. There are many different things I feel we perceive as normal just because media and society says it is. The way women are supposed to act, dress, be, smell, weigh, all these different factors. Men also have a large image to live up to, as society has already  sculpted how we are supposed to be. But personally, it is very hard to go anywhere and not be made fun of for being me. Yeah, I wear sweats and pull my hair up almost every single day, but you cannot call me a "dyke" just because. That hurts people. What if I wasn't ready to be out about my sexuality and what if you were just making assumptions. It could cost a life. I just encourage everyone to think twice before they speak, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment