Thursday, March 28, 2013

MSM and the War

For some reason, I don't have an emotional connection to this war and everything that goes with it.

I'm very apathetic to comments from people to the media when they report a story from Iraq or Afghanistan or Bagdad. I have that, "so what?" attitude. So many people have invested their lives to patriotism in this war, people have risked their lives fighting and reporting in the desert, and I have no opinion, one way or the other.

However, I did connect with the discussion about mainstream media and their reports on the war. It fascinates me to learn about media reports and agenda setting and framing. I agreed with the comment made in class that people watch what they find fascinating, therefore the media reports on what the people want to hear. It's true. If I were to watch news/media coverage on the war, I want to see stories about soliders coming home to their families and babies and homes. Others want to see gunfire. Some want to hear about our fallen heroes. People like to know about locations and updates on what America is doing in the sandbox. And these are the things we get to see in the media. Why? Because it's interesting! I think the media also likes to "pep" things up and make it seem more than it really is. They like to report stories that really have no depth, but throw a few adjectives in there and you have the attention of war supporters.

Honestly, I'm not even sure what I'm getting at, except that it's interesting that war is so framed by the media and they can actually influence minds of those who support or follow the war. It's fascinating to me.

Also, this.


No comments:

Post a Comment