Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Seeing the uncool of High School- Corey Bell


So I have been waiting to blog for this long because of two reasons.

1. I have never blogged before and it makes me nervous
2. It keeps slipping my mind

This blog comes from the idea that we talked about a couple of weeks ago about the culture of cool. I saw this being played out perfectly during spring break. When I went home, I saw how much high schoolers attempt to be the leaders of this culture of cool. I really felt like I was a researcher when I visited my old high school with my brother. Now, my brother has not beendesperate enough to fall into this category, but many of his friends are. It was so interesting to see how these students interacted with each other and how they almost worshipped the idea of being cool. Their words and body language showed that these students would do anything to take on the personality of being a part of the culture of cool. There was a part of me that really wanted to talk to them about how being cool or the culture of cool is not actually real and that there was no way they could actually be cool. But after thinking about that for a moment, it would only fuel their fire to be cool. I could see them now, trying to act like what I was saying didn’t matter or wasn’t real. They would try to impress their friends by talking down to me or attempting to make fun of me. All of this would be in their pursuit of being the coolest kid in town. I think it would have been great fun to break all of their hearts and tell them being cool is actually not real, but I think I would have just been wasting my breath. With all this being said, I could clearly see the concepts in class being played out in our society, even as young as high school!

No comments:

Post a Comment