Thursday, March 21, 2013

Kate Giglio 5

After today's topic of hyper masculinity I was thinking of ways that this idea was portrayed in media other than Hip Hop. I thought of Brad Paisley's "I'm Still a Guy." I decided that I would tweet out the link for the class and as I was listening to the lyrics to the song I was so shocked at how straight forward is. There was one line about men holding their girl's purses which sparked the following comment (this comment was posted 3 weeks ago, and I just happened to see it while I was scrolling):
  • "Holding a woman's purse is completely emasculating. Don't do it if you're a real man. Besides, who holds her purse when she's at the mall by herself? She does. So, she's perfectly capable of holding it when she's with you. Don't be a pussy. Don't hold her purse.
I was 100% taken back by this comment! Has the media actually morphed the idea of Masculinity so much that a man is not willing to hold his girl's purse? What if masculinity was linked to being a gentleman, or just a respectful person! This YouTube user days "Don't do it if you're a real man" (meaning holding the purse). A real man? I am pretty sure that all men are real?

No comments:

Post a Comment