Thursday, March 14, 2013

Caster Semenya Gender Testing

Ok, today we discussed gender testing. I feel that in Caster Semenya's case it was a little over the top. If they are going to gender test, gender/drug test EVERYONE prior to the event. Female, male, small, big, black, white, purple, whatever. I see it as very sexist. Also I personally hate that Semenya went from power to glamour. Power is not something a woman should be afraid to be proud of. Going from power to glamour is just feeding into this sterotype that is already preconceived. Maybe I should be gender tested for rugby because I'm strong. Just because I don't have a deep voice doesn't mean I am not a male. And as Marilyn said on Twitter earlier, people are very very narrow minded. What if Semenya was your child? Wouldn't you just want to celebrate the glory in her winning something so big and globalized instead of worrying about her gender? As another individual stated in class, she wasn't even close to a male's time in the 800 meter, is the gender testing a result of jealous and fear? Fear of having a woman beat a man? #foodforthought

No comments:

Post a Comment