Thursday, February 28, 2013

turn on and turn offs Ellen Lee 008

-->
Today in class we watched the Misrepresentation documentary, and honestly I was kind of disappointed at our society. I do not know when it became acceptable to call people “fat” and “stupid” to try to prove a point in the media. I am a woman of the United States and I think that we should be more worried about the well being of our country than worrying about Hilary Clinton crying in Connecticut. Most of these people have so many opinions but they are not scholarly opinions, they are the opinions of people like you and me; so why does what they say affect us more than the people we are close too, or people who actually want to better themselves.

As I was watching the video I was very turned on by the part about woman being seen as sexual objects. I was looking on Facebook the other day and I noticed that some of the younger folks on my friends list do this thing where you put in order of who is the most attractive from 10 to 1. As I look at this I become angry that this is where American’s have progressed. When I was in grade school and high school I could care less about who the hottest people were because most of the men in those times were tools or douche bags. I just wish that women AND men could see that it is not about what everyone thinks of you, but how you value yourself.

I was a bit turned off by the video because they focused solely on women and paid no attention to how men are represented in America. In order to have the most knowledgeable information possible I think we need to focus on both sides of the argument and not just put the focus on women. This is why the media makes such a big fuss about a woman being successful because we keep allowing them to make judgments on us about our gender. I would LOVE for a politician to run for office and have someone said “iron my shirt.” I would hope they turned to them and complained that they could be doing something productive with their lives instead of being a sexist fly in their ear. This is whom I would put my vote for. Someone who does not let the public defy them but they defy the public. I want someone who knows what they want from this world and to do whatever necessary to achieve that goal, and most importantly, I want someone who cares about our society and make it a better place to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment