Thursday, February 21, 2013

Princess Culture: Negative or Positive

PRINCESS CULTURE 

   The idea expressed in the discussion today made me think if I was actually a member of the "Princess Culture" myself. After fully evaluating the definition the answer was clear, I Erika Antkowiak, was a member of the culture at a young age. I had a collection of Disney Princess movies , and watched them on a regular basis, trunks of dress-up clothes with explosions of glitter and color that took their place among my toys, and I idealized the princesses. Though I used the word idealize it is not in a negative context. I idealized the adventures and places that the princesses went not the the clothes and material objects they possessed. 
   Watching the Little Mermaid made me curious about the sea. The plants, animals, and colors all caught my eye. As a result, I received books from my parents to further my exploration. However, I do not remember ever wanting the material objects.  I do not see a negative effect of this particular princess on me.
   Beauty and the Beast is probably one of my favorite Princess movies. When I was little I looked up to Belle and saw a lot of myself in her. Belle was smart, brave, and loved to read. All of these attributes were things that I either wanted to be or areas I categorized myself in. Watching these movies I gained confidence, I was given an inside look of places and adventures, and they always seemed to spark my curiosity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment