Thursday, February 21, 2013

Disney (notso)Imagineers Ellen Lee 006

-->
In todays class we discussed the flourishing idea of the modern day princess culture, and if this is giving false hope to young girls everywhere. I, on the other hand, do not think that all young girls are really changed by the Disney princess they were raised on, but rather the parents of this era wanting to make their kids happy. I believe that parents are the soul reason for children succumbing to the princess culture of the times. Now I do not think this is true for all girls, but I think it is a safe assumption to say it affects the majority.

In this generation children are raised by media and the perfect idea of what it means to be happy. Kids are not going out and playing with their friends as much, using their imagination to do things on their own, or even wanting to be around other people. I remember when I was growing up I loved Disney. I never saw it as someone I had to grow up to be but an overall good story that is entertaining. The difference between my childhood and the childhood of kids today is that I had imagination. I was able to play with myself and create fantastical situations and entertain myself, and most children do not experience this. They are so enamored by todays media that they cannot even play on their own.

I do not think Disney is hindering the youth but I do think the parents have something to do with being consumed by the media. I think parents should take a more proactive approach to their children’s lives and spend more time with them. I understand that in today’s society mothers are working more, parents are out of the house at the same time, and kids are being left in the care of other people. This stigma can change as long as the times are willing to change with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment