Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Commercials - Too Much Hype (Bonnell1)

I'm an advertising major. Every year one of the biggest days for the business is of course, the Super Bowl. Advertisements are at the highest price ever, but with that comes the largest viewing audience of the year. In many cases, people watch the Super Bowl for only the ads. I see no problem with that. However, my main pet peeve is each year the hype for these commercials is huge, but each year it just seems like everyone is disappointed.

I can understand people not liking every single commercial, but just because they aren't all amazing does not mean that they should all be called "bad" commercials. My roommate was arguing with me today about how each ad needs to knock your socks off. My main argument was that that was literally impossible. Advertisements are targeted toward different groups of people, an Audi commercial that we thought was epic could be completely irrelevant to an older demographic. Or another example would be that older demographics loved the Dodge Ram Farmer commercial and the younger age groups just didn't get it.

Here is my point, the Super Bowl commercials are hyped up way to much that it is not possible for these companies to keep up with our expectations. Certain ads will be amazing, but due to the fact that companies are trying to reach so many different people, every single ad cannot adhere to our liking.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting points. It is arguable in many ways. I see both sides. But yes, there is disappointment with many of the ads.

    ReplyDelete