Friday, February 22, 2013

Those gosh darn hipsters...

I must say, the hipster presentation in class was quite amusing. I could not help but notice that we had very many hipsters attending the class. After this lecture, I started to wonder. Do hipsters act so non-conformist because they want to stand out? Do they feel the need to only drink Pabts Blue Ribbon and ride neon bikes because they like to? As some people would state that the "hipster" style is non-conformist, I want to make it clear that I feel the opposite. The hipster style is not becoming a trend, but is one now. I think why people buy the things they do and act in a certain way is because they want to conform to the hipster style. But on a different note, people have the freedom to conform to any style they wish and should not be hassled when they do so. Although I do find somebody in the Atrium using a typewriter taking it a bit far. They obviously do not use a typewriter out of connivence because we have come a long way since then.

On the other hand, we may have a little "hipster" in us. I must state that I do enjoy drinking Starbucks and wearing flannel. I also enjoy having a little facial hair as well. But does this label me hipster? No. And that is just that. "Hipster" is a label that some wish to have and others just get it tagged to them. I think it is evident to say that most individuals who dress like a hipster enjoy to have that label. Maybe because they will be accepted to a certain crowd. Or maybe they do so because they like certain things that most hipsters like and later just conform to the stereotype.


No comments:

Post a Comment