Thursday, February 21, 2013

Princess & Super Hero Culture

Personally, today's lecture was hard to sit through because I feel that I grew up, whether it be because I'm a well rounded wired person or my parents raised me, to be a well rounded person and didn't let the media or my friends make me completely girly or a "tomboy."

I very much grew up believing I was the princess of the household. My sister carried me everywhere and talked for me so I didn't learn to talk or walk until I was almost two, my family calls me princess, and I woke up every morning in elementary school to a Disney movie. Even now Cinderella is one of my favorite movies, I dream of marrying a real life prince and I can say the word "Sissy" in such a way to get my sister to do pretty much anything for me. On the other side though I played soccer since I was four, I had over 5,000 legos, I referred to my bruises as war wounds and loved playing with nerf guns and in mud. I also was raised to be independent and refuse to rely solely on a man to "save" me and know that the things I want in life will not be handed to me.

For example, on Valentine's Day two movies opened,
 and 
Most would safely assume it being Valentine's Day that a girl would want to go see the typical Rom Com about a man saving a woman, which I will admit I did in fact want to go see. However, I was probably more excited to go see the next installment of Die Hard. This wasn't because I had a boyfriend I wanted to make happy or try to defy a stereotype I genuinely LOVE me some Die Hard. 

I think trying to decide if there is a Princess Culture or Super Hero Culture is one of the hardest things to get opinions on. I personally believe that a child can see their friends and media telling them something, but as long as their is a strong adult in their life explaining to them why those things are that way then they can make their own choices and decide who they want to be. 

I also believe that it should never be seen as a bad thing for a girl to genuinely love the color pink, dressing up,  and watching Disney movies if that is what she freely picks. Just like if a boy knows his options and freely picks war, fighting, and the color blue nothing is wrong with that as long as both understand that there nothing wrong with picking that OR not picking that. 

Again, I will say that I think a lot factors into a discussion like this so it is hard to give a black or white answer. Someone in the lecture today said that some children are only fed the princess culture and have no adult figure telling them the other side so that it will have an affect on them. Granted it might, but I think it has more to do with how the child is wired. My 5 year old cousin has a an older sister who adores the color pink, wears little heels everywhere and strongly believes in being a princess. She also has an older brother who plays every sport he can, and plays Halo and COD. So, my cousin was able to see both "cultures" her family didn't pressure her into one way or another and let her be her own person. She decided that she is not the princess she told her family at five that she does not like dresses, make-up or heels and wants to play sports. By just observing life she was able to make a choice for herself and didn't feel like she was wrong or bad for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment