Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Drama Drama Drama


In reviewing my notes for our upcoming exam tomorrow I discovered the reason behind why the reality show The Bachelor/Bachelorette continues to grow in popularity season after season, even though true love has only been found a handful of times in over twenty seasons.  I myself have been caught under its spell, recognizing and labeling it as trash TV.  I know that there will be all kinds of dramatics and over-the-top dates and a romanticized image of what the dating world is really like.  I realize that the producers of this show have put the contestants in situations where it is next to impossible not to create drama.  And, yet, I still watch it, each season forming new and lasting para-social relationships with the men and women searching for love on national television.  In looking at this show from the dramatist perspective, however, I have come to understand the reason I, and the rest of America making this show a Monday night favorite, can overlook all of the things that make this show ridiculous.  This reason we accept these people choosing to portray themselves in the most outrageous fashions, and doing some of the most ridiculous things, is because of the higher calling they are seeking.  They are doing it for love, and when it comes down to it, everyone can understand the craziness that surrounds trying to find the person you are meant to be with.  The audience can relate to the god term of finding love and a happy ending, explaining the addiction to and overwhelming popularity of The Bachelor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment