Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Kate Giglio 3



Listening to Jennifer Siebel Newsom speak on Wednesday I had so many thoughts running through my head. I would never consider myself to be a huge, true, committed and involved feminist but none the less, I am a woman and of course I have my own opinions and beliefs. Hearing Jennifer speak of her experiences and her accomplishments was so empowering. Her talk of her relationship with her father is really what struck me the most. I am so blessed and so lucky to have a father who believes in his daughters and his wife. He is the manager of the Radiology department at one of the hospitals in our city and it never occurred to me that he would not hire a woman or treat a woman with respect because of her gender. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful male role model who respected in such a way that I never thought that disrespecting a woman was even an option. I could never imagine having a father who did not support me and believe in me. What a strong woman Jennifer must be for breaking out of the father’s mold and becoming her own person.
Another topic that struck me as extremely interesting was her talk to “Tabloid Trash.” I am not one to get very caught up in reality television. I am not a watcher or supporter of many MTV shows or the Bachelor or shows on that genre. But my dirty secret and guilty pleasure is the Kardashian family. After thinking about the topics discussed and comparing it to the Kardashian family I have realized that Kourtney is probably the biggest feminist of the family. So even in this “tabloid trash” situation there are still potential cases of feminist. Granted, this example may be my personal form of purging the guilt for being such a lover but it was just an observation.
Overall I really enjoyed the discussion with Jennifer Siebel Newsom. She is such an amazing woman with an incredible story.

No comments:

Post a Comment