Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Second Wave Feminism

The discussion about Second Wave Feminism and Third Wave Feminism got me thinking about my mom and how I was raised. My mom is a Second Wave Feminist and raising a daughter meant raising another Second Wave Feminist.

The concept of Third Wave Feminism wasn't around for my mom. She is an activist. She is invited to speak at conventions, and is always calling and emailing her representatives in congress about her favorite issues. Her very favorite issue is equal pay for women. She works in the health care industry and that is where unequal pay is the most prevalent.

Because of growing up seeing her go out and do these things to make a difference I have to agree with Malcolm Gladwell that activism is more about leaving our comfort zone. Even though I use the Internet as a tool, it is not the end all be all for accomplishing tasks. In my experiences of creating online communities there absolutely has to be a real-world connection otherwise the online community fails.  That's why even gaming communities that start online will eventually plan get-togethers outside of their community to actually get involved with each other.

As a sidebar, we've gone over a lot of television texts in class. I did not grow up watching TV and I still don't really watch TV. Books are a lot more relatable when thinking about texts as early feminism. There are tons of examples of girls and women featured as the heroine such as Little House on the Praire and Nancy Drew. I was personally a big fan of the Junie B. Jones and Clifford the Big Red Dog series.

No comments:

Post a Comment