Wednesday, February 27, 2013

In Defense of the Princesses



I found the princess culture discussion to be interesting. I enjoyed it because I love the Disney princesses. From a young age, I have adored them. My favorite princess is belle.  I have a few disagreements with the article claiming that girls are not learning from the princesses and that the attitudes of the princesses will cause them to act a certain way. I feel that the princesses also have good qualities that people can learn from. I did a project last year in tcom 204 over how the princesses were becoming more diverse and feminist. Over the decades the princesses started to reflect the changing times. They were no longer the stereotypical princess of fairy tales. The princesses have come a long way since the days of snow white. Belle’s love of reading reflects the rising number of women entering college in the early 90s. Tiana's dream to own a restaurant reflects how women have moved up in the workforce. The princesses are teaching that if you want something, you won’t be handed it. You have to work hard in order to achieve all your dreams. I feel that liking the princesses and acting like a princess won’t negatively affect the child as they grow up. They will realize that they can’t have everything that they want. I live in the residence hall known as “the castle” and I am referred to as the princess. I know I’m not really a princess and don’t expect everyone to bow down to me even though they do anyways. The article just focuses on extreme cases that aren’t the norm. Little girls are going to turn out fine if they like princesses. They are not going to grow up disillusioned if they don’t achieve that. The parenting should be looked at and not the messages in the films.

No comments:

Post a Comment