Tuesday, February 5, 2013

The Twitter Bowl

This Sunday was a big day for a lot of people. Especially football fans, chicken wing enthusiasts, and social media users. By the end of the big game I noticed that every one of the trending topics on Twitter were football related. I was not particularly surprised seeing how The Super Bowl is the most watched event on television. This really got me thinking of how social media has changed the way we watch and enjoy events such as this. As soon as something happened during the game it seemed it was instantly thrown onto Twitter for all the world to read, even though most people were already watching the game. Why did people feel the need to post updates about the same game everyone else saw too? For me, it was fun to go on and skim over the trending topics to see what others had to say about some of the best (and worst) plays, calls, and commercials. I wondered if what I thought was supported or if there was someone I could argue with over it. I imagine that I was not the only one to post my thoughts to see if my idea was more supported than my opposition's. This is not the only time this happens either. I notice every week there is something in the trends that is argued about, just on a smaller scale. Twitter has become the easiest way for people to get their ideas out quickly and effectively and we are now using this to watch shows and it completely changes the experience. It is like sitting and watching the game with several million people all putting their hate, love, and witty comments into your head.

2 comments:

  1. I noticed the same thing. My Twitter feed was FULL of Super Bowl opinions/information even though everyone was watching the same things.

    I did really enjoy hearing all of the different opinions about the half-time show and commercials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first Super Bowl with Twitter, and my experience was pretty much the same. One thing I will add though is how much more exciting Twitter got during the power outage, because it showed the cleverness and the lengths not only regular Twitter users, but companies as well took to either promote themselves, or to create as many jokes as possible in that time span.

      Delete