Thursday, February 28, 2013

NO, I really am a princess!!

I saw this ad after we discussed the princess culture, and it only confirmed my belief in princesses. Since I was little, I have enjoyed glitter, dresses, tiaras, and dolls. You might say I was a girly girl.  my mom and dad gave me the nickname princess. They raised me to believe a princess was someone strong and beautiful. I've never thought of a princess as someone who has to have the latest fashion and have as many material things as possible.  A princess was smart enough to rule a kingdom, and humble enough to smile at everyone. I was that princess. I got my first heels when I was in 3rd grade, yes, I remember that day vividly. I wore them every chance I got. In 5th grade, my sister won the queen pageant our city has every year. One day I would be in that same pageant.  Little did I know, my senior year, I won that title of Queen.  Yes, I got a tiara, and yes, I wore it with pride.....and still wear it whenever I get a chance.
But I think it all comes down to how you are brought up as a kid. Your parents and peers can point out the materialistic princess, or can uplift the strong princess I have always seen. My favorite line of this video is when she says, "I've heard I am beautiful, I know I am strong." When I won the queen pageant, I made it a point to talk to little girls and show them what a princess could be.  I had a princess party for all the local girls to attend. Yes, we all dressed up in tiaras, tutus, and girly dresses, but it was so much more than that.  We ate hotdogs, planted flowers for people, and just had a good time.  Being a princess doesn't mean you're perfect, it simply means you are someone to look up to and you should act like it. If anything, being a princess gives you extra incentive to always be on your best behavior.
The more I thought about the lecture over princesses, the more I questioned it. But in the end, the less you read into the princess culture and take it like it is, the more it makes sense. Princesses can be a role model, but teach them the side of it you want them to be.  As a kid, everything really is as simple as the first glance. Kids don't over analyze their toys, neither should we.

I am a princess...Long may I reign!

No comments:

Post a Comment