Thursday, February 28, 2013

Staying True to my Childhood

Barbie.....
That one name is known by young girls all over the world, even some young boys. I grew up with Barbies. Owning almost everything Barbie, name it and I had it. From the Barbie dream house, to the perfect outfit combinations that would make any girl jealous. I remember even forcing my little brother to play Barbies with me (although I remember not having to beg much). Before we talked about my favorite childhood toy in class I never thought negatively of Barbies. I was very surprised to see how many people believed those dolls created an unreachable image for girls. Personally, I never felt like I had to match up to my pretty dolls nor did I feel inferior of them. They were, and still are just toys to me and this upset against them being too 'perfect' for girls to see is just silly to me. Barbies were meant, in my opinion, simply for fun for young kids. I refuse that they were created for unrealistic expectations of girls. Truthfully, many know that there children would not enjoy playing with a doll that was unattractive looking. The good looks and stylish outfits of Barbie are the reason that this doll became so popular among little girls.

Even though some rather convincing arguments are made on why Barbie gives girls, as well as women, an unrealistic expectation, I'm still staying loyal to Barbie. In my eyes, she is my childhood, and I refused to believe she was meant to make me feel I have to look just like her. I guess once a Barbie fan, always a Barbie fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment