Monday, February 25, 2013

Don't judge a Book by it's Cover


I wrote this blog in response to the inspiring speaker Jennifer Newsom.

In the past, present, and future, females have, are, and will be portrayed in a certain way. People are wrongly viewed in almost every category. I try to not stereotype at all (even though it is literally impossible) due the frustration of being stereotyped. People need to learn who someone is instead of being judged by their category. From Females, to Jocks, to Frat guys, everyone is judged.

Women have been seen in a view that is wrongly portrayed. They can take steps to change that image which is "wrongly portrayed" to "correctly conveyed." I am saying change how women conduct themselves, to explaining who they are. When I see a girl dressed provocatively, acts over-friendly, acts needy, or unintelligent because they think guys like "ditsy girls", it makes me un-attracted to them in every way. When I see girls like this I do think that girl is slutty, immature, weak, or dumb because that is what she portrays. After seeing that I don’t believe every girl is like that. I know a large amount of females who are intelligent, independent, strong, and respectable. It is probably due to how I was raised. My mother is a strong, intelligent, respectable woman who shows me what kind of, not only women, but people I want surrounding me in the future. Those who are judged in a negative way, a lot of times it’s because of how they let people see them.

Horrible stereotypes are also related with “Frat Guys.” A lot of people see them as pigs, egotistical, assholes, disrespectful to women, and much more. Yes there are some Frat Guys who are these things, but there are also non-Greek students who have those traits. I am in a Fraternity and it upsets me when people judge me for it before they get to know me. I joined solely to meet more friends, connections, and have more opportunity to experience what I otherwise could/would not. What most people don’t realize is that ATO has taught me to open doors for women, no matter how far behind you she/they is/are, dress more respectably, care for my friends and brothers more, respect women more, socialize more efficiently with people in all situations, and more. So after you read this and see me wearing letters to class or in public and think, “Oh just another Frat Boy,” delete that bias and try to actually know me and not who you think I am. I say this because you don’t know me, what I have been through, who I have helped, what values I have, how respectful/polite I am, or else you would not be thinking that’s who I am That is why I don’t judge you, because I am just as clueless about those aspects of your character that I wouldn’t judge you until I got to know you. I guess I am just trying to say, “Don’t judge a book by its cover” is so well-known because it’s true. You have no idea if you will like what you find inside. After you read the book you can keep it around or read something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment