Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Interpersonal Wussies



Today in class we talked about the effects Facebook has on making people lonely within the lecture's original topic of interpersonal relationships and social media. As an interpersonal communications major I started pondering about how social media is making us worse face-to-face communicators. I agree with the statement that social media interactions are frequent but without substance. The greatest memories I have are with my closest friends. Those memories and friends were not made in a conversation using Facebook messenger, or through the use of tweets, they were made hanging out and going out. Also, most of my interpersonal skills were developed in face-to-face social interactions. Whether it be persuasion, humor, or sympathy I learned those skills by hanging out with friends, family and even strangers. That being said, I am certainly not saying that I am not also victim to the effects social media has on my interpersonal skills. Like noted by many students I suddenly feel awkward around stranger and fear that if I try to start up a conversation that this stranger will think of me as creepy and not friendly. This is something new to our generation, I am convinced. My parents and grandparents can seemingly strike up a friendly conversation with anyone and carry that conversation for what seems like forever. Why does that not happen anymore?! That's how friends used to be made, through interpersonal, face-to-face, genuine conversations. I wish it were still the same today. People have no problem showing being outgoing on Facebook when they stand up for their personal beliefs, but become introverts when this topic come up face to face. In fact I did not even participate in today's conversation, yet I managed to blog 250+ words on my opinions considering the lecture...I have fallen victim!

No comments:

Post a Comment